Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Start of a memorable journey



Many of my friends ask me about what made me quit my job and join the Masters in Public Relations (MAPR) course of the Mumbai University. Well, before I had actually joined the course I couldn’t really tell them why I had taken that decision, I used to just say because I wanted to continue studying. That was the truth but not the complete truth.

Now that I’m a part of the current batch of Masters in Public Relations (MAPR), I can say confidently that I’ve the answer to their questions. I still remember the day when I first went to the Department of Communication & Journalism at the Kalina Campus of University of Mumbai. I had gone to meet the professor heading the course, to talk about my admission. It was the first time I was going to the Kalina campus and the campus bowled me over, there were trees all around and the campus was huge and for once I didn’t feel I had entered a concrete jungle.

After admiring the campus for a few minutes I walked towards the building where the lectures for Masters in Public Relations (MAPR) are conducted. Still having some doubts in my mind about whether what I had decided to do was the right thing or not, I entered the department. In the department I saw students in a couple of classrooms having a discussion with a professor, some students sitting on the stairs and working (an assumption) on their laptops, some just involved in a friendly banter. The scene in the department reinfused that little bit of faith I had lost in my decision, it made me feel that, ‘this is where I belong, this is where I want to be.’ That is one day I can never forget because it was the start of a journey of a lifetime for me.

Not to forget the statement or a question my HOD made/asked when I asked him where I could find the professor who handles MAPR. He exclaimed and I quote:
 “You’re a student!!!”

Damn!! I better get used to this reaction I get from people when they realise that I’m just a 22 year old and not some guy in his late 20s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment